David Ybarra is our July Athlete of the month! You can catch him in the afternoon classes and both before and after class putting in extra work. He is a very hard worker, and he loves to help other people and see them succeed.
Name: David Ybarra
- U.S Navy
- High school football, 5 years of CrossFit
Favorite pre/post-workout meal:
- pre-workout – smoothie & avocado toast w/ egg
Post- workout – rib-eye steak, eggs, and potatoes.
What do you think is your spirit animal?
- English bulldog
What superpower would you want to possess?
- Teleportation (I hate traffic)
What’s your favorite cheat meal?
- Chicken wings and fries
When did you start CrossFit and why did you choose OP?
- I started CrossFit about 6 years ago, in my friend’s garage. OP was the clear choice, because as soon as I walked in the door, Jim introduced himself and immediately introduced me to some of the other staff and members. I knew I was in the right place with how welcoming everyone was.
What was your first CrossFit workout? (Or just one memorable workout you’ve done at OP, and tell us about your experience!)
- My first CrossFit Wod was Lumberjack 20, it was very scaled.
What are your fitness goals? And how has CrossFit and the OP community helped you accomplish those goals?
- My goal is it get a little fitter everyday, maybe make quarter finals in the open this year. The other OP members have definitely pushed me to train harder and Commit more to my fitness.
What are your favorite CrossFit movements & why?
- Probably anything Olympic lifting, it was a weakness of mine when I first started, but after spending so much time trying to make lifts better, I learned to love them.
What is your proudest CrossFit accomplishment?
- Helping others accomplish PR’s or do a movement for the first time.
What’s something memorable you’ve learned at OP from the coaches, the members, or about yourself that you’d like to share with others?
- Faunt has taught me to always bring a positive energy to the gym, it’s Infectious.
Do you have any words of advice for new member?
- If it’s a good wod for you or not, be consistent, it’s all about getting a little fitter everyday. And you always have fellow members, to push you to your fitness goals!