With the holidays right around the corner, who doesn’t enjoy a little treat now and again?
However, too much of a good thing can really make things more stressful. Who hasn’t indulged a little too much and had an “oh no” moment? That’s also the good thing about the holidays: you are allowed to indulge a little bit and enjoy it without having to be so regimented with the daily routine. It’s called balance, and food isn’t a “reward” that you get after destroying your body with a cruel workout but it’s fuel for the next task at hand.
Best thing to do is to plan ahead so that you can enjoy the next snack or meal without feeling guilty about it later. One of the most popular snacks during the holidays is Puppy Chow. The store bought versions typically come with a lot of sugars and preservatives that don’t typically sit well with most people.
Here is a fun, simple recipe that can be made quickly and turned into a family activity that will keep you feeling good too!
PB Protein Puppy Chow
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chip
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 cups Honey Chex cereal
- 3 Bia Bars (optional)
- 1 cup chocolate or peanut butter protein powder
- In a medium microwave safe bowl, combine the chocolate chips, coconut oil, honey and peanut butter. Melt in the microwave in 30 second increments and stir between each one. Add vanilla and stir. Add Chex cereal and stir until completely coated.
- In a large freezer bag, add the protein powder. Transfer the chocolate Chex mixture into the bag and shake until completely coated.
- (Optional) Chop the Bia Bars into small bites and add to the bag. Shake again to mix. Store in the fridge for up to a week.