Holiday season is in full swing and you may find yourself needing to eat out (or order in) the next month or so. If that’s the case, here is a friendly reminder to prepare your bellies well:
- Eat a light snack/protein bar/protein shake beforehand so you are less tempted to gorge on appetizers (ie: unsalted nuts, nut butter packets, greek yogurt, low fat cheese, whole grain crackers, half a protein bar or protein shake are great options).
- Drink a cup of water to feel a little fuller.
- Less sugary beverages.
- Incorporate plate method for portion control.
- Look for the following descriptions: broiled, steamed, baked, blackened, sautéed, roasted, fresh, light, grilled, poached.
- Get a mixed green salad full of veggies and ask for dressing on the side (use a thumb or two serving).
- Split appetizer and/or main entree if you know the restaurant serves large portions.
- Substitute with whole grain options.
- Eat half entree and save for the next day.